If you have braces, congratulations! You are on your way to having a beautiful, straight smile. Here are a few things to keep in mind to help you through your orthodontic journey:
- Be patient. It takes time for your braces to work their magic and it is important to be patient during the process.
- Be diligent with your oral hygiene. Braces can trap food and plaque so it is important to brush and floss regularly.
- Be careful with your diet. Avoid hard and sticky foods that can damage your braces.
- Keep up with your appointments. It is important to see your orthodontist regularly to ensure that your treatment is on track.
- Have fun! Wearing them is a great opportunity to express your personality. Choose fun colors for your rubber bands or show off your style with unique brace accessories.
When can I eat normally after the brace treatment?
If you’ve just gotten braces, you may be wondering when you can go back to eating all of your favorite foods. The good news is that you’ll be able to eat most things once they are adjusted to your mouth. However, there are still a few things to watch out for.
- Hard foods: Avoid hard foods like candy bars, nuts, and pretzels. Not only can they break your braces, but they can also be difficult to chew and can cause pain.
- Sticky foods: Sticky foods like caramel and gum can get stuck in your braces and be difficult to remove. They can also cause tooth decay.
- Foods with sugar: Foods with a lot of sugar can cause cavities.
- Crunchy fruits and vegetables: Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables like apples and carrots in small pieces to avoid breaking your braces.
Now that you know what to avoid, here are some things that you can eat:
- Soft fruits and vegetables: cooked or canned fruits and vegetables, peeled if necessary
- Meat: ground, tender, or well-cooked meat
- Fish: ground, flaked, or shredded fish
- Dairy: milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream
- Bread and grains: bread, cooked rice, or cake
- Beans: cooked beans
- Soups: smooth or creamy soups
So there you have it! You can still enjoy a variety of foods even with braces. Just be sure to avoid hard, sticky, or sugary foods and you’ll be fine.
Foods to avoid. Do and don’ts with braces
If you’re one of the millions of Americans with braces, you may be wondering what types of food to avoid. While it’s important to maintain a well-balanced diet, there are certain foods to avoid with braces.
- Hard Foods: Avoid hard foods such as nuts, hard candy, and ice. Not only can these types of food break your braces, but they can also damage your teeth.
- Sticky Foods: Sticky foods such as caramel and gum can be difficult to remove from your braces and teeth. This can lead to cavities and other dental problems.
- Chewy Foods: Chewy foods such as bagels can cause your braces to loosen. This can lead to longer treatment times and additional costs.
- Sugary Foods and Drinks: Sugary foods and drinks such as candy, cookies, and soda can cause cavities. It’s best to limit your intake of these types of food and drink.
- Acidic Foods and Drinks: Acidic foods and drinks such as citrus fruits and juices can erode your tooth enamel. This can lead to sensitivity and other dental problems.
While it’s important to avoid these types of food, you don’t have to eliminate them from your diet. Just be sure to eat them in moderation and brush your teeth afterward.
To learn more about braces and ask your questions, give us a call at 248-650-2440 or visit our dental clinic.
Please visit our Linkedin page for more information.